Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
she likes sweet glop sauces

I like to use Sweet Baby Ray's brand of sweet glop sauce, but really just to brush on lightly to carmelize on the outsides over the coals at the end of the smoking. I'm always looking for ribs that are a bit crunchy on the outside, and tender and juicy inside. It's a fine line, because a little bit too much heat toasting the outside and you get some very tough and dry areas. I guess I would be asking for some Mr. Brown in my order, too, if I ever get down that way.

I don't need a sauce to add heat, because I make my own dry rub using New Mexico or pasilla ground chili powder instead of paprika. Not very hot, but enough to feel it when you bite into a rib. And it adds more flavor than using paprika plus cayenne.

mustard or ketchup on your BBQ sandwich

OMG, what the hell is wrong with some people? Ketchup is for your french fries, and mustard is for sausages.

I'll tell my wife about Sweet Baby Ray's, thanks.

The ribs turned out great. It took a bit longer this time on the smoker because of the constant wind we are having. It sucks the heat out of the smoker. No problem, I enjoy messing with it.

Yesterday I decided to baste the ribs with mustard and then sprinkle on Dave's Dry Rub. Next I let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours at room temperature before I put it in the smoker on a rib rack. I sprayed the ribs with apple juice after 3 hours. At 4 1/2 hours, I basted them with Scott's sauce (on mine) and Carolina Treet (for my wife). I took the ribs out after 5 hours.

Mighty fine. Both of us were happy with the results. Painting them with mustard, to hold the dry rub, seems to have held in some of the juices, as did the apple spray. They were moist.

IMHO, if you want the eastern NC taste I recommend Scott's BBQ Sauce without reluctance. Carolina Treet gives you the eastern NC taste, but it has a little sugar and little bit of something else in there, for people who like their BBQ with sweetener added - which is probably 99.9% of the known world. Vinegar based sauce without sugar of some kind in it is unique and not to everyone's liking.

Scott's BBQ Sauce

Carolina Treet

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.