How Bernie Sanders turned himself into a serious presidential contender

Ahead of the showdown in Las Vegas, Sanders spent the weekend making the case he's not out of the mainstream, repeatedly arguing that it's "not a radical idea" to think someone should be paid a livable wage or that students should not go into a lifetime of debt. "I don't think this is a leftist, extremist position," he said at a Saturday rally in Boulder, Colorado, referring to a $15 minimum wage.

I think the reality is that more Americans support his ideas than what any of the other candidates are pedaling. The problem is with labels. Labeling is killing him, and will put a ceiling on his chances. But, I believe his ideas will take hold and inform the election. My wife and son are already ardent supporters.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich