Carson reaches these absurd conclusions because he engages in what philosophers call "unreasoned beliefs" or "implicitly grounded" beliefs. In order to simplify his thought processes, he skips a few steps in the logical construction by "assuming" certain conditions. One of the assumptions is that "God" is an American Christian - so of course there is no conflict between the Constitution and Christianity because the Constitution is a Christian construct. It is a sloppy habit of thinking that strikes most politicians, although not just based upon Christian precepts. Most politicians believe that their thoughts are shared by their constituents, even if empirically that is demonstrably wrong. In another thread, for example, I pointed out that Ted Cruz was elected by only 625,000 voters out of 26 million - yet, he behaves as if his iconoclastic views represent not only all Texans, but all Americans. Most Americans (if polls are even slightly accurate) believe in same-sex marriage, gun control, Social Security, universal health care, and global climate change, among many other "mainstream" issues. That, however, does not influence the politicians.

Hillary Clinton, I believe, will win, because she is representing the views of most Americans in her positions. That, I think, will overwhelm the gerrymandering, the false narratives, etc. Bernie Sanders, too, is doing well because he is striking many of the same chords. Trump is doing well among the party base because he is appealing to their narratives - but those narratives only apply to about 30% of the GOP primary voting base. That is the ceiling of support that he and Carson will achieve.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich