Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
America's Greatness probably had more to do with most of our competitors being destroyed in WW II than any inherent superiority. I got news for Trump and his followers: That time is not coming back any time soon, unless you start WW III and everybody fails to nuke the US.

I gotta take issue with that, sorry.
Yeah maybe for the first three years or so, EU was in a shambles and manufacturing was DOA but please note, German manufacturing recovered so quickly that they didn't even take much Marshall Plan money because they insisted they didn't need it.
By 1950 or so, and definitely by 1952, Germany's manufacturing was back on track, same for Italy, France and the UK.

We cannot attribute a thirty year postwar prosperity boom to nothing more than winning the war and nothing else.

A lot of VW, Ferrari, Peugeot and Morris owners would disagree, a lot of wristwatch owners would laugh while checking the time, tons of photographers would put down their Leicas or drop their Zeiss lenses, Blaupunkt radio listeners would turn down the volume and arch their eyebrows.

I still have my German grandparent's 1954 Blaupunkt "world band"
AM-FM-SW-LW deluxe Hi-Fi radio, it sure is a beauty, a real heirloom.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com