For me, Trump (and to some extent, the Republican party) is an existential threat to the United States, and Hillary Clinton is more about the status quo. In that regard, I am conservative.

Trump is out of control, and represents the worst instincts of the American populace. A truly considered view of his candidacy should produce horror, much like the atomic bomb. He represents crudity, greed, and the oligarchy more than any candidate ever, yet pretends to be a "populist". It is ridiculous.

But, you're right that Trump is the product of the tastelessness of television, and really launched the "reality TV" morass we are saddled with. It became all about money, and quality went out the window. Trump really represents the worst elements of American culture of the last 50 years - the "me" generation, the greed generation, the modern Robber Barons, and the rude generation. If he is truly what we've become, we are doomed.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich