Originally Posted by Greger
Gee I'll bet all those losers in the Civil Rights, Workers Rights, Women's Rights, Gay Rights, etc. movements are so sorry that you hadn't told them this before they started.
True. But the gains in these areas have come about slowly, with fits and starts, incrementally you might say. Dreamers provide the impetus, policy wonks get the job done. Society doesn't always go along.
If Bernie Sanders commitment to peace is as great as some would have me believe, then the US would never have entered into WWII. Hitler was a dreamer too.

These movements achieved gains by CONSTANT POLITICAL PRESSURE as well as the blood, sweat and tears (and death) of the people who fought for them. Parts of any society will ALWAYS be opposed to change. Not sure how you're defining slowly but without disruption and protest nothing happens.
As for WWII, I have NEVER met a pacifist who was against it. There was a real threat and there were millions dying. The need for military intervention was evident to all. So I don't think Bernie, or any person with a conscience, would have sat that one out.
Bernie is not a dreamer. He is a realist. He wants to salvage what is left of this country.
Johnson was a hard nosed politician but he knew that the civil rights bill was a political necessity, while all of his fellow southerners were telling him to take it slow. He lost the Dixiecrats in then process but, he made it happen,
Lincoln too, a hard nosed politician. Ending slavery (aside from the moral imperative) was an economic necessity. Half the country went to war over that.
So, in fact, only those who have the courage to make things happen achieve anything.
As for Hitler, he too (as evil as he was) made things happen. He didn't sit around in a bar talking about how great it would be to conquer the world.
Ms. Clinton will walk this country backward, in my opinion. I really hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't believe I am.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky