As for WWII, I have NEVER met a pacifist who was against it.
Yes, but nonetheless America was deeply reluctant to enter into that war. We had been embroiled in the Great Depression and had lost over 100,000 soldiers not too many years before in WWI.
FDR wanted to intercede on behalf of Great Britain but Hitler's conquest of Europe wasn't enough to draw us in. It wasn't Hitler but Japanese Emperor Hirohito's bombing of Pearl Harbor that did the trick.
Bernie is not a dreamer. He is a realist.
Oh, Please. Bernie's Platform is based on three things. Breaking up the big banks. Free college education for all. And Single payer healthcare. He has done nothing for Women, Blacks, Hispanics, or the LGBTQ community. The very people whose blood sweat and tears you cite he has basically ignored. Bernie's appeal is mostly to intellectual white people, and Rick. It is Bernie who will walk the country backward because everything he wants involves massive tax increases and the redistribution of wealth(downward as oppose to our current situation). You can believe this or not, but calling for massive tax increases, despite his lofty goals(dreams?) would be political suicide. I don't even need to get out my cracked crystal ball to tell you that he would be a single term president and would be defeated in 2020 by a Republican.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...