Originally Posted by matthew
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
BTW I did not say that you were wrong to defend capitalism - just stand up for whatever principles you believe in. That way we can speak to each other as intelligent human beings which I believe we both are.
To call me extreme is funny, actually. I always thought that democracy meant the free expression of ideas and the OBLIGATION to dissent when one group is oppressed. I must be mistaken.
Americans are always blathering about free speech and how much they support freedom of expression, but if you get too far beyond a narrow range of acceptable opinions -- watch out! the knives come out!

My theory is: the more a group of people espouse a principle, and the stronger they claim to adhere to it, so much the more is the real situation the exact opposite.

It's funny isn't it. But in fact, Debs in the U.S. And John McLean in Scotland were both jailed for "sedition" because they spoke out (note the word, speak) against conscription in WWI. They both died shortly after being released from prison - as a result of their encarceration. So I guess, the whole freedom of speech thing is sort of a suggestion.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky