Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I expressed a theory today about why Trump is so profoundly ignorant about how government works. Like Bush before him, he has no legal training. Clinton, Obama, and the vast majority of our Presidents were lawyers. Most of what a President does involves the law - proposing it, interpreting it, enforcing it. Lawyers are, by training, familiar with the spheres of responsibility of the branches of government, and have a strong affinity for the Constitution. Trump, on the other hand, has spent the vast bulk of his career abusing, flouting, and breaking the law in about every way imaginable. He couldn't care less what the law is and has no respect for the law or its enforcement. His familiarity of the law is mostly gained through avoiding it - by not honoring contracts, paying his bills or taxes, circumventing it or manipulating it. He is a very, very dangerous man.

Up to the present, 56.8% of American presidents have been lawyers. Vast majority is usually defined as:

Vast majority - means almost all or something like 90% or more, but less than unanimous. Overwhelming majority - means well beyond any hope of finding enough who are swayable to take the opposite case or something like 75% or more.

Emphasis is mine.

So, the percentage of presidents who have been lawyers is a simple majority.
In Trump's case, I consider him a thug. He is neither a businessman (in the entrepreneurial sense of the word) nor is he a scholar of any sort.
However, 40% (4 of 10) of those presidents ranked in the top ten were not lawyers.

[Linked Image from s33.postimg.org]

The ranking system is given by the link below. While not a perfect system, it will do as a sort of consensus poll.

Rankings

So, I think, perhaps, your theory needs some refining.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky