Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
I wish someone could explain what is so historic about Hillary winning the nom.
....There have been many women presidents in the rest of the world - some good and some bad, just like a lot of men. I thought the presi.dency was supposed to be about ideas and not gender. I must be mistaken...
There has never been a woman nominee. That is historic. Ask most women. Yes, other leaders, other countries, have gone before, but not in the United States. Although it really is historic, the significance has been overshadowed and diluted by other things - Obama's election, her previous campaign success, service by many women in the cabinet and the Senate (including her own), so it doesn't feel as momentous. Come November, however, that will change.

Marriage equality note seems like a foregone conclusion, and yet it was only a year ago that a decades-long campaign finally bore fruit. The bathroom fight demonstrates that there is still room to go. Many felt Clinton should not be "the" woman who finally got the nod (many said the same about Obama), but one should not let their personal predilections color the significance of the moment. In some ways it is encouraging that people are not talking about her gender. But I guarantee there are many old white men who are lamenting her success because she is a woman, especially one named Trump.

All the press seems concerned with is her gender (as they were with Obama's race), both of which are mistakes in my opinion. Obama won not because he is black but because he had good ideas (many of which, unfortunately, he abandoned along the way). My concern is not with a woman or a man, black, white or green, straight or gay, but with what the candidate stands for.
So historic because she is a woman only means we are behind the rest of the world in that regard (should I put my surprise face on, now?). I truly hope that she has learned from this campaign that rhetoric is not enough. I truly hope that she is willing to enforce a vision for this country that is inclusive economically and socially.
I hope...

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky