Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter
In their(our) defense President Obama was elected twice by comfortable margins. Republicans did their level best to defeat him. The first time they tried a war hero/monger who never met a war he didn't like and and and a radical right winger who preached pretty much the same message Trump is running on. The second time a rich businessman/politician and a well loved Republican economic policy wonk known to have his eye on the presidency. They couldn't put the numbers together then and they wont this time either. There is a fair percentage of Republicans who will sit this one out or vote for Gary Johnson. Johnson is polling around 10% and very few of those are Democrats, his numbers may go up as the race progresses.

Democrats have their own problems but I just don't see them affecting as many voters. Jill Stein might pull in a few disgruntled Bernie Bros but my cracked crystal ball says it wont be much over 2%. The biggest thing Democrats have going for them is universal hatred for Donald Trump. Many, who might have sat this one out, will be energized to get out and vote against him.

The Republican Convention is playing out to be an utter failure as it looks more and more like nobody who is anybody is actually going to show up and their sponsorship has dried up as well. The excitement level among Republicans is off the bottom of the charts.

The Republican Platform is draconian and guaranteed to appeal only to the very basest of the Republican base voters. The Democratic Platform is perhaps the most progressive in my lifetime. Any lefty who still thinks this is a lesser of two evils situation is, in my opinion, just plain wrong and I generally credit progressives for having at least some degree of common sense politically.

Despite what the polls may be saying, things really aren't looking good for Trump. So try to relax, Phil, and please, if I get kinda nervous and jittery in the next few months, do me the kindness of reassuring me that a Donald Trump presidency is just not going to happen.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...