Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Tolerance is the definition of liberalism. Liberals are supposed to have open minds.

I am actually NOT generalizing at all, I am focusing on specific types, that is the opposite of generalization.

Your statement immediately before saying that this is not a generalization IS a generalization. When one ascribes a strict set of traits or values to a diverse group in which there is no way to assess how close in opinion every person in that group is to the other, one is generalizing.
Much like our RR group here: there are some things we might all agree on, but even our reasons for those items of agreement may be quite different.
Open mind to me may not be the same as open mind to you, etc. You get the picture.
In summary, attributing a set of beliefs or opinions or dogmas to any group constitutes a generalization. It assumes facts not in evidence, i.e., the actual reasons and details that underlie those beliefs.
Political parties should house diversity of opinion. There should be an open and frank discussion of ideas. That is not the case (for the most part).
Left of center is a fuzzy definition - by that I mean it is a range of values and not a crisp value.
Same goes for right of center.
But as anyone with our (yours and mine) experience knows: getting any group to agree on anything is always tricky. There will be lines in the sand that will divide any group, no matter how cohesive they may seem to be.
Labels divide.
Ideas (and more importantly, actions) are the currency by which we can make sound decisions. If a politician's actions move in a direction that I want to go, I will support her/him. Otherwise I will not. I don't need a label for that.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky