Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Stein's VP really IS the kind of "bomb throwing leftist radical" that Republicans claim Obama was. Now, when the whole world gets to see and hear Ajamu Baraka speak his mind, Republicans should be ashamed and should immediately apologize to Sanders, Hillary and ESPECIALLY Barack Obama for character assasination they've engaged in for all these years.
Maybe conservatives NEED a reminder of what a bomb throwing leftist radical really sounds like to remind them that Sanders, Clinton and Obama represent reasoned moderate views.

Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Bomb throwing? ROTFMOL
Hyperbole much? coffee

Miss quotation marks much?
I highlighted them for you this time, so that you would be reminded of the context they were used in.
Love ya Zeke, but you're all over the road this time.
I just think that the linear spectrum that portrays the Left-to-Right alignment is not doing justice to describe the philosophy, values and conduct of groups that wind up on the extreme ends.
If the horseshoe idea doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.
It works better for a lot of people for whom the linear scale doesn't because it seems to explain certain phenomena like the exodus from extreme left to extreme right which is well documented.

Lots of people think it's a natural function of age but I disagree because most people in the moderate portion of the spectrum stay pretty much in the same spot save for a traumatic experience such as Trump's candidacy, or a radical restructure of party agendas.
Thus they remain moderate liberals or moderate conservatives despite the change in party labels.
Jeff, love ya right back smile But this time you've got it kinda backwards.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey J. Haas
Maybe conservatives NEED a reminder of what a bomb throwing leftist radical really sounds like to remind them that Sanders, Clinton and Obama represent reasoned moderate views.
1) See, no quote marks. Emphasis is mine.
The syntax implies that Mr. Baraka is a real bomb throwing leftist radical.
Mr. Baraka, as far as I can tell, never advocated the throwing of bombs, or any other violent methods. As whacky as some of his ideas may sound, they aren't violent.

2) And the horseshoe theory IS a linear paradigm. The progression that describes the curve is linear. So my argument is that the curve is non linear, like so:
[Linked Image from s6.postimg.org]
The age aspect seems anecdotal, and I'm not sure it holds any water. I agree with you on that.
Extremes occur in most (but not all) distributions but the important thing to remember is that they always have OPPOSITE SIGNS. -3 DOES NOT EQUAL 3 (even though the number 3 is present in both). Equal distance from the center does not imply similarity in nature, all it says is that the distance is more or less the same.
My contention is that the right side of the distribution (the right extreme) is longer with a higher probability than the left. There is a skew, in other words.
I am not alone is recognizing the silliness of the horseshoe theory. It does not withstand the rigor of its claims. It is just bad science.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 08/10/16 09:25 AM.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky