Interesting. If, for instance, you are in business, and you make a profit then that profit gets taxed X amount. The question is, basically, how is the profit arrived at and that is, basically, where the problems come in. This gets overcome if you have a national sales tax (hides under a number of different titles <G>) Anyway, if you buy something you pay a tax on it. The trick is to make sure one pays a tax on EVERYTHING that is bought, irregardless of where it was bought. The reason this has a lot of appeal is simply because the profit thing no longer is even pertinent. Its been said that if such a tax existed then you could fund gov with a tax between 7% and 28% If you google "national sales tax percentage" will get a lot of hits which goes in this stuff in detail. The trick is consistency. The people who hate this one are those that think this tax is hard on poor people (I don't buy it). There are ways to help the poor without changing a basic sales tax system. The trick is to come up with a basic tax which EVERYBODY pays! If one want to help the poor they can do that with some kind of payment system but not by adjusting the tax law itself which would remain constant and understood.

I am not sure what home ownership has to do with any of this. Right now, when you buy a house, you get taxed. You get taxed on what you buy in any number of ways (fed, county, state, fed - they ALL get a taste). I remember, when in college, a long time ago, being told that the price of a loaf of bread is something like 75% tax charged on production each step of the way.

I just think that a genuine, fair tax system exists and the problem is in the details but, no matter what system is in place, is should be held sacrosanct and any 'fixes', "equity adjustments", "social engineering", and "kindness" should be handled outside of the tax system itself and specific to whatever so everybody knows what is going on. Right now we have a system which makes any set of religious tomes, moral commandments, and the like pale in comparison to our own overly complicated and incredibly corrupt system (currently supported by the accounting priestly class and ruled by holy congress).

Oh, the current solutions of the right are none of the above. Instead it is, basically, a system to increase the number of poor whilst getting rid of any tax supported healthcare (thereby killing off the non-productive, elderly, ill educated poor (I suspect many Trump supporters fall into this category)). Given the disparity of wealth in this nation I suspect that we will probably move onto revolution in the next 50 years or so unless something changes. Its unfortunate when that happens but I won't be here to see it so it's out of my pervue (I know, that's harsh, but true).

If history teaches anything it shows that a gross disparity in wealth always ends poorly and there is absolutely no reason why we will not experience the same disaster as other nations and cultures with huge disparities have experienced in the past. It would seem that, historically, the poor and disenfranchised tend to eventually upset apple carts on a grand scale.

I just came across this so I thought I would add it:
http://reason.com/reasontv/2017/11/01/trump-tax-plan-business-as-usual?utm_medium=email

Last edited by jgw; 11/01/17 09:55 PM.