History in a nutshell.......

Its actually very strange. President Carter demanded that the Shah (the guy we put in charge of a Democratically elected government we decided to get rid of) empty his prisons of political prisoners. The Shah then went right ahead and did that. Shortly after the Shah got himself deposed. Then an ex American Attorney General got an army plane to transfer the Ayatollah from Paris to Iran. Not too long after that the released political prisoners, and a bunch of pissed off Iranians charged our Embassy, captured everybody there and kept them hostage. We have been angry with them every since as they might have been angry that we overturned their Democratic government and imposed the Shah on them (not a real nice guy but excelled in having some of the very best torturers in the world) but they failed to thank us for getting their political prisoners freed or taking the Ayatollah, who was not exactly our fan, back home.

Just thought I would throw this one in. I also suspect, since my memory isn't as great as it should be there may be errors in the above - apologies..............