I tried reading Cormac McCarthy years ago and couldn't get into him for some reason. A friend encouraged me to give him another try, so I picked up his newest, "The Road," at the library.

The book is a post-apocalypse story. A man and his young son are on a journey through a burnt-over, deserted, lifeless country. We know it's the US, although we don't know (at least by page 50) what happened.

I'll give you a jacket blurb, and one sample of the writing.

The blurb:
"The Road is the profoundly moving story of a journey. It boldly imagines a future in which no hope remains, but in which the father and his sin son, "each the other's word entire," are sustained by love...an unflinching meditation on the worst and the best that we are capable of."

Now for the excerpt:
"In that long ago somewhere very near this place he'd watched a falcon fall down the long blue wall of the mountain and break with the keel of its breastbone the midmost from a flight of cranes and take it to the river below all gangly and wrecked and trailing its loose and blowsy plumage in the still autumn air."

Oh. My. God.

So far - and I'm only a page fifty - I'm finding this book to be a book, but also a painting - maybe primarily a painting - and it is accompied by some sort of cello meditation.

Wow.

Last edited by Mellowicious; 09/18/07 11:53 AM. Reason: typo. sheesh

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad