History shows that those who identify or associate themselves with either the Republican or the Democratic Party will vote for their party's candidate 90% of the time regardless of who that candidate is. Neither party's base is large enough for either party to ignore independents, although it seems both try like the dickens lately.

It wasn't Democrats that caused Hillary's loss, it was independents who went to Trump. It wasn't Republicans that caused either McCain nor Romney to lose, they lost the independent vote. Big in 2008. G.W. Bush won independents and won twice as did Bill Clinton.

Personally, I owe no allegiance to any political party. I vote candidates and sometimes I vote against both major party candidates because I don't like either one, ALA 2016.

Each of us has our own reasons why we vote the way we do. That reason may seem asinine and insane to quite a lot of folks, but it is important to me, to any voter. When the Democrats decide who their nominee will be, then I'll decide who I'll vote for or perhaps against. Party's mean absolutely nothing to me, but candidates mean everything.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.