Jeffrey, we are arguing apples and oranges. I'm talking about the majority of people being against the ACA, when passed. Thus resulting in the 2010 whipping the democrats took. Any political strategist or even politician, elected official could look at the numbers and come to the conclusion they would be paying a huge political price. Obama and the Democrats decided to go ahead anyway, they accepted the price they would pay which passing the ACA meant losing the House.

Now there may be tons of reasons why the majority of Americans were against it. But the fact is they were. It's also a fact the Democrat choose to go against public opinion at that time.

Perhaps the best course once they viewed the numbers was to say, oops, perhaps we need to postpone this until we can get more information out to the people on the pluses and minuses. We need the peoples support. Why the people thought the ACA was bad and got them all riled up, is irrelevant to me. I'm a numbers guy, not a policy wonk.

If you grab a political history book, look under why the democrats lost 63 seats in 2010, the number one reason is passage of the ACA against the wishes of most Americans. At least a majority of Americans. Now you can fully believe in the ACA and that it is the best thing since sliced bread to happen. That's fine, that's not what I'm talking about. I talking about the number one reason for the 2010 defeat.

Raising federal taxes, especially on social security taxable amount in 1993 was the number one reason the democrats lost the house in 1994. The never ending wars and the beginning of the recession is why the Republicans lost the house in 2006. People were just plain tired of Republican rule. The dislike of Trump with his obnoxious, uncouth ways and very unpresidential behavior led to the Republicans losing the house in 2018.

When swing voters get angry at the party in power for what ever reason, just or not, they vote the other party in. There's more to it than that little short synopsis. Just look at this, how independents, swing voters swing back and forth when they get angry.

1992 Democratic house, independents/swing voters 52-45 Democratic, 1994 independents voted Republican 55-40, the Democrats lost the house for the first time in 40 years.

2004 Republican house, independents voted 53-44 for Republicans, 2006 swing voters voted Democratic 57-39, Democrats regained control of the House

2008 Democratic house, independents voted 52-45 for Democrats, 2010 independents voted 56-39 for Republicans, the GOP regained the House.

2016 Republican house, swing voters voted 51-47 Republican, 2018 independents voted 54-42 Democratic as the democrats regain the house.

You had a 22 point swing between 1992/94, a 27 point swing between 2004/06, a 24 point swing between 2008/10 and a 16 point swing between 2016/18 among one group of voters, independents/swing voters. Dissatisfaction and anger among them at the party who held the house and the president.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.