Very true Jeffrey. Same for Bush after 9-11 when he shot up to 90%, then began a very steady decline. 6 months later Bush was down to 70% and a year later down to 55%.

The decline was even more noticeable among democrats, 84% right after 9-11 down to 49% 6 months later, falling to 37% a year after 9-11. It took independents 3 years to drop below 50%.

I don't think it will last either. Now I follow independents as usually they decide elections. The fact independents have risen from 42% approval to 49% is significant at this time. Their disapproval has dropped from 52% down to 45%. Nothing there that is eye popping, but worth noting. Trump won the independent vote in 2016 with only a 40% favorable rating among them. Of course Hillary's was at 27%. Questions 10 and 11.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/l37rosbwjp/econTabReport_lv.pdf

Biden is much more liked among independents than Hillary was. So I don't expect a repeat. If the election was held today, Biden would win easily. He leads Trump in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina and is tied with him in Wisconsin. All states Trump won in 2016.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.