Originally Posted by Greger
You sure you won't need tippers, what with being out in the boonies and all?
Out here the chair is strictly for indoor use. I spend about 12-14 hours a day in this desk chair. Sometimes I move to a recliner for gaming. I'll get the tippers for while I'm learning to drive the chair so I don't go over backwards, once I've mastered wheelies and gained control of the thing I'll remove them. You can't go down a curb with them on the back or you'll wind up on your face. Custom manual chairs are extremely tipsy and have a really short wheelbase so they can have a tight turning radius. They aren't like those transport chairs for invalids. My upper body is fine, my arms and shoulders are strong. If I could just stop falling down even my back might heal. The legs aint coming back though.

Oh I understand. Believe me, after twenty-two years and almost a dozen and a half different chairs, we have definitely learned about them.

Right now Karen has a manual chair which she hardly ever uses now that pressure sores are an issue, an older "retired" power chair as a backup, and her current power chair which is her primary.

But for the first twelve or thirteen years, she refused a power chair altogether, before her rotator cuff started yelling at her. That's when the doctors told her it might be time to get a power chair.

I'll never forget her convo with her PT lady:

"But I can't give up my manual chair, that's my physical therapy."

"No, your manual chair is your MOBILITY, your physical therapy is your physical therapy, and that's why your shoulder is giving you problems now. You've been ignoring your PT too long."

"Ohhhhh...."

Of course now she's been very good about going to her PT, at least up till the recent crisis. frown

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com