I think we are just now witnessing the amnesia that comes with three and a half years of stress at this level. People, even smart people, seem to be forgetting what life was really even like prior to Trump's ascent to near dictatorship.

Sure, dictatorship by proxy if you want to call it that, it's something of a cultlike power grab. Trump is on record openly talking about how he could crash the economy if he felt like it (2014) and so it's become so off the scale absurd that it should be funny.

I guess three and a half years has begun to normalize the brand so much that everything that happened in the recent past now seems a century ago.

The brand...yes...Trump has a brand. He has always had a brand, and it's always been the same brand. It's how he has always conducted business, and this is not much different a formula, only magnified, and his methods have the astonishing ability to instill a nationwide case of battered wife syndrome.
Don the Pimp has convinced many of us that the guy we had before was a no account shiftless no good [censored].

The Brand...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com