2016, my vote was against both Trump and Hillary. As for 2020, I knew I wasn't going to vote for Trump. But that didn't mean an automatic vote for the Democrats. I said many, many times that depended on who they nominated. I started out backing John Hickenlooper, when he dropped out, I went with Tom Steyer. I really wasn't given time for choose another as the day after Steyer dropped out, it became a two man race. Biden is fine with me, he'll have my support.

Now, I thought about Gabbard after Steyer. I like her along with Klobuchar and Buttigieg. All would have had my support. The only two that wouldn't have were Sanders and Warren. Those two would have caused me to vote third party once again.

Ideological wise, I'm definitely a middle of the roader. Probably half way between the two major parties. I always thought of Sanders and Warren as being outside of the democratic party, left of it.

I support the Democrats on some issues and the GOP on others. It all depends on the issue and how much I care about it. Many are irrelevant to me that seem to get both sides riled up. I'm probably your ultimate swing voter. I'm the type that would vote third party for president, republican for senator and democratic for my congressman and split the rest of the ballot going back and forth depending on my view of the candidates for various offices.

My first vote was back in 1968 when you had to be 21 to vote. I can't remember a year when I ever voted a straight party line ticket. I probably did a time or two, most likely in a midterm.

This year, I know Biden for president, David Scott, my Democratic congressman for the House are sure things. I'll vote for whoever are the two Republicans for Georgia's two senate seats up this year. I love divided government. I like the check on the party in power or the party that has the white house. It's very dangerous in my opinion to have a single party in full control of the presidency, senate and the house. Not so much in the past due to the 60 vote cloture rule, the filibuster. But with the nuclear option doing away with the filibuster, it is a must to have the opposing party in control of either the house or the senate be it a Republican or a democrat as president.

Last edited by perotista; 04/13/20 11:32 PM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.