I went to Ace Hardware this morning, hadn't been in while. But I needed some Japan drier for the linseed oil we'll be putting on the cabin logs tomorrow. The place was the most crowded I've seen in a long time, I suppose folks are doing a lot more projects around the home.

While we don't have a face mask order here, it is a strong recommendation - the idea being that the cloth masks are good for you not spreading the virus if you have it (which nobody actually knows until becoming symptomatic), but unless it is an N95 it doesn't offer much personal protection. This was my first foray into a crowded public place and was the first time I wore my cloth mask (I have a couple of N95's because some of the work I do is in hazardous breathing environments). I felt a little awkward at first and quickly noticed that only about 25% of the Ace shoppers had masks on. I reminded myself that wearing one is out of consideration for others, and for slowing down the spread of infection, so I kept it on.

I live in a pretty "western" town where there is a large representation of cowboy types, miners, and redneck leaning cultural groups, though the county is heavily Democratic politically. We all generally costume up to some degree according to our cultural affinity, so stereotyping folks according to appearance is probably 75-80% accurate. I would say that 80% of the people who were not wearing masks (many with their kids in tow) were of the redneck culture.

Go figger...

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller