Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Be patient. One of the new vaccines shows it generates lots of anti-corona virus antibodies that neutralize the virus. It still needs the usual human trials to make sure it's safe, but at least it looks like it works. Three or four of the vaccines are at this stage or further along.

Yes a Feb 1 shutdown would have saved thousands of lives. We needed time to develop tests. It's almost impossible to do the usual contact tracing when you have so much asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spread. A tight quarantine would have knocked it down with R0 << 1.

Further along? Which one is further along? That I know, there is no vaccine that has progressed beyond barely scratching the Phase I trials.

Yes, we took too long to lockdown.

In Mississipi, the governor is getting cold feet. A surge in cases and deaths on Friday has him reconsidering the reopening there. Which is interesting because there is always a gap between infection and diagnosis, and diagnosis and death. So if it's surging now, it relates to a surge that happened before the reopening. But I'll take it, because I do think that it is premature to open up, from the epidemiological standpoint.

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/03/20 01:08 AM.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.