I've found the back and forth over supplements (particularly zinc) both uninformative, and unpersuasive. Ha!

Here's why: each of us has a unique body makeup which includes metabolism, absorption and retention profiles, etc., etc., etc. And, I acknowledge that there have been several caveats, provisos, and addenda mentioned, for example regarding lab testing. But, that's the main point! For everything we put in or do to our bodies, there is a complex chain of actions, reactions, and ancillary effects. Some have been mentioned - gut bacteria, for instance - but many have not.

Each of us has a unique health profile, and the blood levels of various elements, chemicals, and other factors play a big role in our health. What may be good for you might be fatal to me. For instance, I take a medication that causes a potassium deficiency, so I take another medication that improves potassium retention. My wife takes calcium retention medication to fight osteoporosis. That same medication would complicate my calcium retention because I have too much in my system. There is some evidence that hyperferritinemia is associated with COVID-19 complications, and also that blood thinners may help alleviate others.

The upshot of all of this is that one-size-fits-all solutions discussed above may not only not be inapplicable to some, but may, indeed, be harmful. I do take supplements, in small doses. I know my eating habits are not good (except when I visit greger), but I'm very cognizant of those interactions, because some of them (Niacin, for example, to which I have a sensitivity) could be detrimental. I may not be consuming disinfectants, but I pay attention to, and get tested for, what goes into my body and how it affects me. Everyone should. Especially at our ages - whatever they are.