Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I was beginning to feel more optimistic today, despite our currently crappy weather, because there is some sign that COVID cares are slowingdown.
Then I read this: 13 USS Theodore Roosevelt sailors test positive after recovering from Covid-19 (Politico).
Thirteen sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive again for Covid-19 after recovering from the disease and returning to the ship, which has been stranded in Guam since late March after an outbreak of the virus, according to two U.S. defense officials.
This is so not good. The implications are multifold: 1) 14 days is not long enough for isolation; or, 2) the disease can rebound after recovery; or, 3) the testing protocol is inaccurate/inadequate, or 4) one can be reinfected.
There are two things are going on here:

1. Previously tested negative sailors are now testing positive.
2. Those who had Covid and are back and testing positive.

Let's take one. Who is to say that the sailors who previously tested negative didn't come into contact with someone else off the ship who is positive in-between tests? (A foodworker prepping the food then consumed, etc)

Two: I didn't read in the article that those who recovered got the symptoms again - they simply tested positive which they will due to having the antibodies in their immune system.

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire