I'd like to add some additional info to my post above when it comes to independents. Now history shows those who identify as Republicans or Democrats will vote for their candidates 90% of the time on average.

As for independents, they're not one solid group. But at least three. Independents lean Democratic, Independents lean Republican and pure or true independents with no leans.

Independents which lean toward one party or the other average voting for the party's candidates they lean toward usually between 70-75% of the time. That's still high, but is a much lower percentage than those who affiliate with either major party.

The rough figures in those three categories, 40% of the electorate are independents, 40% of independents lean Democratic, 40% lean Republican, leaving 20% with no leans, pure or true independents. These numbers go up and down, it just so happens that on 13 May 2020 this was where they stood. Very unusual as normally the Democrats have a slight advantage in independents leans over the GOP and the pure or true independents usually are around 15% instead of 20%.

So I'll give you two sets of figures.
Straight party affiliation, 31% Democratic, 28% Republican, 40% independents
Party affiliation counting the leans, 47% Democratic, 44% Republican 8% pure or true independents with no leans.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.