Originally Posted by Greger

A lot can be said about it. Trump won the electoral college by 70,000 votes in three states. Clinton won the popular vote by nearly 3 million. So it's not so much who voted for who, but where they voted.

Instead of Republicans, Democrats, and independents The vote was actually between rural, suburban, and city.

If it was up to me I'd eliminate political parties altogether. They haven't served this nation well. Increasing numbers of independent voters speak to this problem.
I agree with this. I always thought the increase in independents was a good thing. But what has happened is the more moderate factions in both parties have deserted them leaving the hard core ideologues. Hence a Trump vs. Hillary Clinton.

Hence where compromise and working together have become four letter words. Where the goal of each party is to stop the other party from accomplishing a thing. I do think our two party system worked beautifully when both parties had their conservative and liberal wings along with moderates. When independents made up but 20% or so the electorate. There was no straight party line votes back then. There was also respect from both parties for the other party and their members. Where the goal of each party was a secure, free and prosperous America, although the path there differed some.

This isn't the case today. Each party views the other party as this nation's number one enemy, that the other party is out to destroy this nation and only their party can save it. I have become so disgusted with both, I have basically dropped out of politics except for my monthly election forecasts.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.