I hear you. There was a time, the time of the big tent Democratic Party where they represented the workers, the GOP was the country club party. The party of business. Now that has all changed in my opinion where neither represent the worker or even the people as a whole. Both major parties owe their hearts and souls to corporations, wall street firms, lobbyist, special interest groups, mega money donors, etc as that is where they get most of their money to run their organizations and campaigns.

You're correct about independents not being monolithic. I suppose that is why independents are unable to establish a viable third party. Too much disagreement among them outside of the fact they dislike both major parties. Some are way left of the Democratic Party and some way right of the Republican Party. I also agree they see neither party as able to govern the country as in governing for all of America. They govern according to their base and their base's agenda, not as an American agenda, in general terms here. The problem is their base is shrinking.

As ideology wise, that depends on where on stand on the political spectrum whether they or you or me view the parties moving more left and more right. It also depends on the issues important to them. I'm probably more in the middle, a belief in the happy medium than either extreme left or right. But you're correct, how one views the movement depends on their political perspective.

From what I can tell so far on this site, you're way to the left of me. There's a lot of things you would favor I wouldn't. Also I think quite a lot we would be in total agreement. Probably mostly on social issues.

I still believe that if either party would take a few steps toward that happy medium that they could become dominate for the next 20-30 years. Much like the old big tent Democratic Party which controlled the House for 56 out of 60 years. That included 40 straight years.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.