Originally Posted by pdx rick
I was thinking today, that if Trump really had a chance for re-election, posters like MA_Republican would be here singing Trump's praises. But he's not - which makes me believe that Trump truly is one and done just like GHWBush. MA_Republican is a preverbal canary in a coal mine for me in that regard.

smile

...now whether Trump leaves peacefully is another issue. Hmm

G.H.W.Bush is unique. Had that election been held in April/May of 1992 he would have been a landslide winner. The average of polls during that time show Bush 44%, Bill Clinton 25%, Ross Perot 24%. It wasn't until July after Perot had withdrawn and before he reentered it at the end of September that Bill took the lead. A lead he would never relinquish.

Bush's main problem was he campaigned like he didn't care if he won or lost. That is until the last two weeks of the campaign. For ineptness, Bush's and Hillary's campaign are right up there at the top. Who's going to vote for someone who doesn't care if he wins or loses?

Now Bush did narrow Bill Clinton's 12 point lead two weeks out to losing by 6 in the general. Perot also had reentered by that time.

One should also note that Bush was so popular prior to the primaries that all the big name democrats decided not to run in 1992 letting a little known Arkansas Governor win their nomination. Until April/May 1992 most Democrats thought they were in for a whipping. It was independents that gave Bill his win, 43% of independents voted for Bill, 30% for Perot and 28% for Bush. Bush's lackadaisical and I don't care campaign doomed him.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.