If the trend holds the Democrats should have a net gain of 5-8 seats. Arizona, Iowa, Maine, Colorado, North Carolina are all either leaning or fairly solid Democrat. Montana, the 2 Georgia seats are close to 50-50 although leaning slightly Republican. Alabama is going to revert to the Republicans.

Even in the best case scenario the Democratic majority would be 54-46. You still need 67 votes for impeachment and removal. Which means at a minimum you still need 13 Republicans to join in to vote guilty and for removal. That a lot less than the 21 the Democrats needed last time.

You're not going to get them unless around 60% of all Americans favor impeachment and removal along with 30% of Republicans and 55% of independents. Public pressure has to be there. The problem with the Democrats last try was towards the end it began to look more like a political vendetta, revenge for losing an election.

The Democrats never had 50% of all Americans favoring impeachment, at their highest, only 17% of republicans favored impeachment which dropped down to 11% as the trial came to an end. Independents also dropped from 48% in favor in Nov down to 41% at the end. Far from the 60-30-55 needed to be successful.

The Democrats did a horrible job at convincing the people Trump committed an impeachable offense. A break in and cover up was easy to convince the people, they understood that. Lying to congress, obstruction of Justice, not so easy. Heck, congress lies to us everyday.

All one had to do was look at the numbers at the start to know impeachment didn't stand a snowball's chance in Hades of succeeding. I said so on another site and was pillared by Democrats for stating so. All I was doing was going by the numbers and stating what the numbers said. But that wasn't what they wanted to hear. I called it all a waste of time, energy and money. I still stand by that. Just like Bill Clinton's impeachment and trial was a waste of time, energy and money. Neither had a chance of success.

Last edited by perotista; 08/14/20 03:41 AM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.