I think folks have paid attention to Trump's childish antics, his unpresidential behavior since he first took office. I really think a lot of folks thought Trump would change. His schoolyard bullying, name calling, feuds, etc during the campaign was just that, a campaign tactic.

The midterms in 2018 I think proved folks had recognized the true nature of Trump's personality. The midterms were a show of displeasure of Trump more than an appreciation of the congressional Democrats. This election is a continuation of that. More about getting rid of the man-child than electing Democrats. I doubt when the Democrats win they will recognize this.

The disapproval of both major parties is still very high. They dislike the GOP more than the Democratic Party at the moment, probably because of Trump. Tread carefully here, just because they dislike one party more than the other doesn't mean they like the other either.

Looking at the recent wave elections, 1994, 2006, 2010, 2018 none of them was because most Americans liked or wanted the out of power party, they were just very dissatisfied and even angry at the party in power. You have to go back to 1948 for the last wave election prior to 1994. So historically, wave elections don't take place very often. at least they used not to. To have 4 in 12 years and 5 in 24 is highly unusual. Then again, these wave election may reflect the increase in the number, percentage of independents and the shrinking of both major parties as people are becoming more and more annoyed with them. If annoyed is the right word.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.