Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Tarnished Republican Senators, no.

Well, we'll see in about 81 days if Republican Senators are tarnished or not. Considering their behavior supporting Trump at his worst and the current polls about Senate races, I think they are more than tarnished. I think I can smell the corruption from the West coast.

Mitch seems to think they are above the law, just like Trump. I doubt many are going to vote for Biden but vote to keep their craven Republican senator. Even Susan Collins is in trouble, and she poses as a fair-minded and reasonable independent agent.

as of today, I see Alabama returning to the Republicans. Colorado, Arizona, Maine, North Carolina, Iowa going to the democrats. Keep an eye on both Georgia's senate races, a good possibility for those to switch also. Montana which looked like a Democratic pickup 3 weeks ago doesn't anymore. Montana will stay red.

It's not that their impeachment vote tarnished these senators, except in Colorado and possibly Maine. They voted their constituents or the majority of the people in their states wishes which was not guilty. It's basically that they want to be rid of Trump and anyone associated with him.

Presidential election years are all about the president or the candidates at the top, midterms become about senators and congressmen. A good presidential candidate can have coat tails which brings in a bunch of new congress critters that normally would have lost. The reverse is also true, a presidential candidate that the people want to get rid of has reverse coat tails and takes down a bunch of congress critters of his own party that in a non-presidential election, they wouldn't have lost.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.