Let me put it this way, I've been left scratching my head in many elections due to the fact both parties always seem to ignore the independent voter, I call them swing voters. Independents put Trump into the White House while Hillary was busy trying to placate Sanders supporters. Not that Trump went after independents, he didn't. Independents basically voted for the candidate they least wanted to lose, not win, but least wanted to lose. What I don't understand is why both parties always seem to ignore a group of voters who according to Gallup make up 40% of the electorate today while concentrating on their base. Then again I'm not a member of either major party, so I have no idea of their inside thinking.

Independents gave the Democrats the House in 2018 by voting for the democratic congressional candidates 54-42. Independents gave the GOP the House back in 2010 by voting for Republican congressional candidates 56-37. Four year earlier they gave the house to the Democrats in 2016 voting for them by a 57-39 margin.

Obama won the presidency in 2008 because he won the independent vote 52-44 over McCain. Bush won in both 2000 and 2004 because he carried the independent vote 49-45 over Gore and 50-48 over Kerry.

All demographics make up the independent group, their ideology is a pure mixture of everything, so they're not monolithic. Perhaps it's hard to target them as a group because of that. Perhaps that is why they always get ignored.

So who is the left going to vote for if not Biden? Perhaps you're implying they'll stay home. I highly doubt that, they're too angry at Trump and anger is the prime get out to vote motivation force. I'm not worried about democrats turning out. What I'm worried is further shifts to the left turning off independents, the largest voting block at 40% of the electorate vs. 31% for Democrats and 26% for Republicans.

As I stated before, history shows that on average 90% of Republicans and Democrats will vote for their candidates regardless of who that is. Independents are in flux. But we have three types of independents, independents lean Democratic, independents lean Republican and independents with no leans, what I call pure or true independents. Those independents that lean toward one party or the other on average vote for the party's candidate they lean toward roughly 70% of the time. The true or pure independents, no one knows, they're all over the place and impossible to forecast.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.