I think one of the main reasons Gore lost to Bush was the Clinton scandals. Not just Monica, but a bunch more. At least for those who were non-affiliated with either party. They were tired of them.

that's my opinion as no exit polling asked the question that I can find about the effects of the Clinton scandals on how they voted. So I have no numbers to back up my opinion.

We might compare favorable/unfavorable ratings, on election day 2000 Bush had a 58% favorable, 38% unfavorable, Gore 55% favorable, 43% unfavorable. I can't find Bill Clinton's favorable/unfavorable's for election day 2000, but I do have his job approval numbers for that date, 57% approve, 38% disapprove.

So these numbers say it would have been a tossup between Bush vs. Bill Clinton for a third term had he been able to run.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.