Originally Posted by perotista
Trump became very attractive to them, perhaps only because he came across as a fighter, someone who would take no bull, a feud creator who went after anyone and everyone who ever spoke bad about him.
I don't think it was because he is a 'fighter', I think it is because he is an unapologetic bigot and is unafraid to cheat to win. Trump followers desperately want to feel like they are "winning".

Originally Posted by perotista
...a party loyalist or an avid supporter of any candidate can't ever understand how one could support someone else or the other party. That's the nature of the game.
I don't think this is a matter of partisanship for the earnest Trump followers - it does seem to be a matter of strategy for many right-wing politicians, though, who are trying to do the math to stay in office.

It's not a partisan matter for me, as I have always found the man to be disgusting, even when he played at being a Democrat. This is the crux of it: I don't understand the folks who don't find him to be disgusting. I have an acquaintance (bordering on a friend) who said to me out of the blue, "Trump just makes me so goddamned proud!" (I didn't press the issue... experience has shown that it would go nowhere good)

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller