You can call it what you want, but there was a lot of anger at the Republican house members. They gave the impression of rolling over dead when it came to Obama. Hence the anger lead to the need for a fighter.

I don't buy the bigot and racist thing either. Whites have voted Republican 54% in 2000, 58% in 2004, 55% in 2008, 59% in 2012 and 57% in 2016. Trump's 57% was right on average with the last 5 elections. It seems more a case of party ID and ideology. It's no secret that the Democrats have a problem attracting white voters while the Republicans have a problem with minorities.

I suppose you can call those who don't vote for your candidates racists and bigots. That may have something to do with it. But Whites had no problem voting for Tim Scott in South Carolina, also remember Herman Cain lead the GOP field back in 2012 for a couple of weeks. The Republicans are running John James, another black man in the Michigan senate race. I do think it's more a case of party loyalty and ideology than racist or bigotry. But it has almost always been that way. Republicans haven't won the black vote since 1928 when only blacks in the north and west voted. Democrats haven't won the white vote since 1964. Carter in 1976 came the closes of any democrat of winning the white vote since 1964 when he lost the white vote for Ford 48-52.

Look at this way, Gore, a white man received 42% of the white vote, Kerry, another white man received 41% of the white vote. Obama a black man in 2008 received 43% of the white vote. More than either of the first two white, male Democratic candidates. Obama's 43% was the highest percentage of the white vote since Bill Clinton's 44% back in 1996. Although Obama fell to 39% in 2012 among white voters. Clinton received 37% of the white vote. But in 2016 6% of whites voted third party.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.