There have been several police department which have actually replace some police with people trained to deal with specific problems. One is dealing with those with mental problems and another is dealing with family disputes (very dangerous). The cry used to be that police simply had too much on their plates that should be handled with people trained to do that. Some have tried to train the police to deal with this stuff but trying getting the emergency operators to learn who/what to distribute specific calls to seems to be the answer. Making the police responsible for every and all things just isn't fair. For too long have we been sending our insane to prison instead of a place that can help them. The prison solution is to just stick them in a little room and give them food once a day. This, I think, says something about our society as a whole.

The first thing we have to do is to train the emergency operators. This, I think, isn't going to be real easy or fast.

I have a friend who got a job as an emergency operator. He lasted about 3 months and quit. He simply couldn't deal with the pain and suffering. Being an emergency operator, I think, is not a real easy job to do?