I'd say being drafted back in 1966 was the best thing that happened to me. I'm the only one I know of in my immediate family that made the military a career. Although my Grandpa served in France during WWI and my dad in the Pacific during WWII. Both got out at the end of those wars. Dad lost two brothers in WWII and my Grandpa one during WWI.

I served in both Laos and Vietnam, my only son skipped the military. But one of my grandsons was with the 1st ID in Afghanistan. He has since got out of the military. He caught some shrapnel in the cheek while over there and now is taking medicine for PTSD. They didn't know what that was when I was in. But he's coming along fine. Medically discharged.

As for the draft, I don't know. Especially considering our active duty military now make up less than 1% of our population. I don't know where you'd put them all. The army has 472,000, the navy 325,000 and the Air Force 322,000. That's it. About 1.2 million men and women protecting a country of 320 million.

Certainly there's no need for a draft. Oh, I forgot the Marine Corps, another 186,000. So the total is 1.3 million. still that is less than a half of one percent of our total population.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.