I consider myself a political realist. Although that can be debated. The fact is first one must win an election. All the idealistic ideology, wants, policy means nothing if you don't win. Nothing will can accomplished by a loser of an election.

I agree that Biden has a lot of goodwill, from both Democrats, quite a lot of independents and a few Republicans that Hillary didn't. Biden is just plain disliked a whole lot less than Hillary was. Especially by independents. Biden was a safe choice to defeat Trump. He'll most likely win by somewhere between 6-10 points in the popular vote. Between 340-360 in the electoral college.

Perhaps more important if Biden approaches the 10 point margin of victory, he could or his coat tails could bring along a decent margin in the senate. My recent takes on the senate.

Fairly safe bets switching parties
Alabama to the Republicans
Arizona to the democrats
Colorado to the democrats

Likely to switch parties
Iowa to the democrats
Maine to the democrats
North Carolina to the democrats

Tossups
Georgia 1
Georgia 2
Kansas
Montana
South Carolina

All are held by Republicans with the exception of Alabama. As of today I see a net gain for the Democrats between 4 to as many 9. A lot depends on how long Biden's coat tails are. But take a good look at the tossups, all 5 should be safe Republicans. I think the above reflects more on Trump than on the GOP incumbents or candidates for the senate. So far Trump's poor showing in the presidential race has had a filter down effect. This election is all about Trump which includes the senate.

As a political realist and sometimes strategist, I say ideology be darned, just win first and the rest will begin to fall into place.

Last edited by perotista; 10/19/20 04:14 PM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.