I think what won it for Biden was he was viewed more electable and more likely to beat Trump. Back on 3 March 2020, just prior to Super Tuesday, 66% of Democrats thought Biden would beat Trump, 19% thought he'd lose. Among independents, 23% thought Biden would win, 43% that he'd lose to Trump.

Sanders, 52% of Democrats thought he'd beat Trump, 29% thought he'd lose to Trump. So among Democrats prior to super Tuesday, Biden was thought to have the better chance of winning. Independents 24% thought Sanders would win, 45% thought he'd lose. That's a wash. Questions 42A and 42E.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/3rdraw493c/econTabReport.pdf

Since Democrats outnumber independents in voting in the Democratic Primaries by at least 4-1, it isn't surprising Biden ended up the nominee as more Democrats thought he had the best chance of beating Trump. Beating Trump was first and foremost their reason for voting for him. At least that's my perspective.

You could take this further by the poll showing Biden was the Democrats first choice 34% to 22% over Sanders while independents who voted in the Democratic primaries gave their vote to Sanders 33-14 over Biden. But they were overwhelmed by the party faithful. Question 40.

Now this means independents who lean democratic and who voted in the Democratic Primaries, not independents as a whole. Far from it. I would say, Biden looked like the safe bet to beat Trump and that's why he won the nomination.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.