I agree with all of you from my last post. As for open primaries, why wouldn't you want to give a voice to independents participating in both major parties primaries? After all, it's independents that decide elections, at least for the presidency, not party members as both are too small at this point to do that on their own. Each major party makes up approximately 30% of the electorate these days, independents 40%. Give them a stake in your party.

The old argument that only Republicans and only Democrats should choose their party's nominee is sort of old hat with the shrinkage of both major parties. I understand that, but with the growth in independents, it's time for a change.

2016 was a prime example of independents deciding the presidential election, not the party faithful. It's also an example where independents didn't want the candidates nominated by each party to become their next president. If you go down the list of closed and open primaries, you'll find Trump and Clinton winning most of the closed primary states.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.