The VA is in terrible shape and that is not really the problem. The current problems started with Obama and something called 'Choice' which, now has been superceded by "VA' (I know, makes little sense). This has all been reported over a year ago. The problem is, basically, not unlike the play with the Post Office, that this administration, and the Republicans, and the Libertarians all want to privatize them both. The obvious plan is to make them both so screwed up there won't be a choice and they are doing a pretty good job at that one. I have heard several folks that work in either place trying to figure out just what the hell is going on and, if they don't know, why would they think somebody else does?

Anyway, back to the subject. I can remember back to Vietnam and then Iraq. I also remember when they got rid of the draft and, in spite of some saying we were turning our military into a group of Mercenaries instead of citizen soldiers, went ahead with it. All that being said the military continues to be underpaid but a great training place for genuine mercenaries which our government tends to hire more of every year. I have friends who have moved to the evil side for the money, incidentally.

The military probably deserves a topic all by itself if folks are going to start talking about it. I have always wondered, for instance, why we seem to have military bases is something in excess of 78 different nations! (and that's just for starters). Then there is the alive and well the industrial/military which is also worthy of examination.

I, incidentally, favor the draft for several reasons. One is that kids learn, in the military one lesson that they don't otherwise. There is ALWAYS somebody bigger, better, faster that can kick your ass. This was a lesson I got and one everybody else gets too and its a worthwhile one I think. I also don't think we would have any 20+ year wars with drafted military. It just wouldn't be allowed! It also provides employment. In many countries there are armies that exist more to get people off the dole than any military reason for instance.

I also had a grandson who died of cancer whilst serving. He was one of the loons who jump out of airplanes, sneak into and out of places, etc. He had 4.5 rows of ribbons on one side and more on the other. He also didn't have all that many stripes because he had mouth problems. AND they killed him and everybody who served with him. I learned that he belonged to a 'bad luck outfit' and everybody in that outfit died of cancer. This one is going on all-the-time and worthy of some time I think.

One can go on and on and on but the military, as a subject seems to me to be worthy of such.