Couple of things. I too am happy with the care at the
VA and was not implying that it was bad. I have really never had a problem with them and I have been going there for a very long time. What I was talking about is that it is getting really screwed up. I also have medicare and try to have all doctor charges to to that. If the VA gets involved its a total and complete mess for the VA and the local doctors. Same with medications. I have choices. I have a local skin doctor and I could drive to Seattle (about 4 hours). I goto the local doctor. He prescribes for me and then sends it to the VA. The starting gun is that the VA is not sure what to do with it. The trick is finding the right person, not always easy. If you talk to your friends they will probably tell you stories as well.

Getting into the system just takes time. I have another friend who never signed up with the VA, until recently. Because, I think, there was a time when you needed to have a disability but, now, if you served you can join up. Just figure it will take a minimum of about 6 months but its always been that way. Just hunker down and you will get there.

I am a little confused about a wait list. My grandson was serving when he died. They spent, literally, millions trying to keep him alive but couldn't. He didn't have to wait for anything and they sent him to the best doctors they could find. He did have interesting times. One time he came home after getting blowed up and he was carrying a bag of some of the stuff they pulled out of him. The TSA wouldn't let him keep that stuff because it wasn't right and took it away before he could board the plane. You know, little irritants just to prove they were A-holes. Another time he got blowed up and, amongst other offenses, he had a hole through his hand about 2 inches round. They put on a bandage, and back on the line in two days. (he always had interesting things to report)

Again, if you served and have no disability, you can still join up. It just takes time and patience but its really worth it as you get older and need prescriptions filled and are not rich. I never had a problem. I went to the VA one day, years ago, and asked them what I had to do. They took my information and asked me to wait. In about 20 minutes they came back and told me I was already signed up! I have never understood how that even happened and was just grateful.

Oh, once you are in its always been dandy. they put an office, with, I think, several nurses (not sure if there is a doctor there or not) but they are handy, always nice, and easy to talk to.