Originally Posted by chunkstyle
Originally Posted by perotista
I know of no one who reads the platforms of the parties or bases their vote on what the two party's platform says. I would say 90% of Americans don't know what a political party platform is outside of political junkies.

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea Trump is charismatic. He isn't in my definition of the word, but may be with others. He's a rude, obnoxious, third grade schoolyard bully. If that is how being charismatic is described, so be it.

Yeah, Biden was a total, old, bland white guy with no charisma. That was enough. It's just a matter of time before it's official. Bland vs. Obnoxious, Bland won.

Yeah, Id agree that most people are not as nerdy on politics and only start paying attention a few weeks out from election day.

Think it's safe to say Trump was different. People are not happy with the status quo and are hunting for something else. Both parties were very satisfied with the status quo and while one candidate in 2016 was able to overcome it's parties resistance to change the other parties change candidate was effectively blocked by them. Ditto of course 2020.

What will be interesting is how much of a lasting effect Trump will have on the Republican party? Will it realign with working class voters in a real and sincere way? Or will it revert back to a business party built on a coalition of culture grievance and austerity economics. Something the other party has in common as well,IMO.

Interesting, status quo. that is basically what we got this election with the exception of getting rid of Trump.

Presidency, Biden will be president, democratic gain
Senate democrat's net gain of 1 seat so far. Not much of a gain considering the Republicans had 22 seats up for reelection vs. 12 for the Democrats. Currently it 49-48 GOP with North Carolina and the two Georgia races to be decided. Tillis leads in North Carolina and will win it once the results become official. That leaves the senate 50-48 GOP.
House Democrats lost a net of 6 seats with 30 still to be determined, old house, 237 Democrats, 197 Republican, 1 independent. Current count, 209 Democrat, 196 Republican 30 still to be determined.
State legislature, democrats lost 2 with 2 still to be decided
governorship's democrats lost one.

The above is about as status quo as one can get.

The lasting effect of Trump? I don't know. Usually, once a president leaves office, they tend to fade away. Somehow I think Trump is different. How the Republican Party approaches this, that's up to them.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.