Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I think that effect may be mostly independents who have no problem splitting the ticket, with local congressmen who they feel good about, and Trump who they needed to gat rid of. They have no party loyalty, so they vote for candidates they like and against candidates they don't. And Trump did everything possible to piss off everyone not actively kissing his butt.

Is it that hard to appeal to a majority of the folks back home, when you are a congressman or senator? Just avoid getting in the national news, and make several personal appearances in your home district or state, saying all the feel good things they want to hear. Mostly just tell them they are smart and pretty. Try not to say anything that kills anybody's sacred cow, and deliver the bacon when you can.
I think this pretty much sums it up. With 18 seats still to be determined, the GOP flipped 8 to 3 flips for the Democrats. That a net gain of 5 so far for the GOP. But this was a year when the democrats were expected to gain 5-10 seats in the house and take control of the senate with a net gain of 4-8. The Democrats were expected to pickup Arizona, Colorado, North Carolina, Maine and Iowa at a minimum with the possibility of the two Georgia races.

All I know is Pelosi is peeved at the democrats not being able to pick up their projected 5-10 seats.

I agree, it's probably independents who did most of the ticket splitting. I find it interesting that Democrats made up 31% of the electorate, 37% of those who voted, Republicans 29% of the electorate, 36% of those who voted while independents, 40% of the electorate, only 26% of those who voted. CNN updated their data to reflect Biden won independents 54-41. With the two major parties basically even in the turnout, 37-36, independents accounted for Biden's 5 million or about victory. 95% of republicans voted for Trump, 95% of democrats for Biden.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.