Being non-affiliated, I really don't care what either party does or how they go about adjusting or realignment. My advice since independents are growing and the major parties losing folks, at least per the percentages.

I'd see what I could do to regain those who once were a member of the party. This goes for both major parties. Most who left both parties tend to lean toward them in their voting habits unless they angry at the party they left.

Now I look at these things more from a political strategist eyes. How to win elections, how to achieve the possible political goals without over doing it to where you make these non-affiliated folks angry and toss you out of office come the next election. There are certain issues where most Americans are for, concentrate on those first and leave the divisive issues alone for a later day.

Or if not left alone, go slowly with small steps as not to make folks angry or take too many out of their comfort zone. What could Obama have accomplished if he left the divisive ACA alone, he had good majorities in both chambers. Immigration Reform, easily done, Making DACA permanent legislation, yes. Legislation on the environment, government reform, tax reform, race relation, education and more all could have been approached and probably have passed.

But Obama and the Democrats were stuck on the ACA during his first two years with basically no time to take on other issues. Then during Obama's last 6 years he and the Democrats were too busy defending the ACA to try to get anything else accomplished.

Old beans, I know. There was a reason for the Democrats control of the house for 40 straight years and 58 out of 62. They took their time in pushing thing that were divisive. Only when they were sure most Americans would accept it or that it was needed, did they dive in and get it passed.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.