What was accomplished legislative during the united government? The tax cuts, I can't think of anything else. Obama had united government from 2009-10, he did the ACA and that was about it.

This election looking over it from top to bottom was to get rid of Trump, but not an endorsement of Democratic policies or a rejection of Republican ideals. If this election was more than getting rid of Trump and endorsing the Democratic Party, giving them a mandate for substantial change, the Democrats would have picked up 10 or more seats in the house as expected. They would have easily won the senate, projected for a 4-8 seat pickup, won a few state legislatures instead of losing two, gain a couple of governorship's instead of losing one.

I think the results prove what I've been saying all along. They wanted a return to sanity, a return to normalcy at the presidential level. Substantial change can wait for another day or another election once things return to normalcy.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.