As long as we are already tastefully discussing[Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com] Ken!
Here is a opportunity to discuss the fifth taste/flavor savory
[Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com], not like there is anything wrong with that rolleyes

Fermented soy, schrooms, yeast extracts, meat, aged cheeses, tomatos. and breast milk. It signals protein to the brain and stomach as thus has survival value in food recognition. It's components may include glutamate the salt of the amino acid glutamic acid from protein breakdown, and nucleotides inosinate and guanylate from breakdown of nucleic acids. s*** ake mushrooms umami has mainly guanylate. Mostly they are naturally sodium salts.
Mono-sodium-glutamate, MSG, got a bad, and unjustified terrible PR treatment, and the sad result of the MSG wars resulted in loss of taste in takeout Chinese food and many others as removal was seen as a positive marketing ploy.

I buy MSG, Accent, literally by the pound,
MOAR Umami
and add it liberally to most savories, and I remain completely norbal! crazy
Along with citric acid I also add it to hummus, soups, stews, sauces, etc.
Its certainly more cost effective than any of the natural sources. I cant eat most Chinese takeout without it!
I tested pure MSG for side effects, as so many dietary snowflakes blamed almost all of their psychosomatic effects on MSG. I did not notice anything with 5 grams of MSG on an empty stomach. I enjoy debunking other pseudo-scientific dietary myths, like it's tryptophan in turkey that is responsible for the soporific effects of a Thanksgiving gorging that also usually has alcohol. While doing an experiment using tryptophan I decided to test it on an empty stomach. Ten grams did nothing and I continued by lab work.

Umami also enhances other flavors too, which reminds me to test it on a sweet and sour dish to see who wins by umamiing. No problems have been noticed with hot and sour dishes.

If I'm really Jonesing for [Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com] Ken,
I make up a batch of my very special s*** ake Stilton fondue with Gruyere base, and serve it with various toasted breads and pickled mixed veggies, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots etc. My wife turned up her nose as I described the ingredients, but she ended up fighting me to scrape the last dregs from the bowl.

Say MOAR to [Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com]!

TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 10/28/21 03:35 PM. Reason: MOAR UMAMI!

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit