Originally Posted by jgw
I may have posted some of this before. If so - apologies. Oh, I recently turned 86. I have a neurosurgeon that the VA has me going to. I see him about every year and a half. He asks me a bunch of questions and gives me tests and sends me on my way after I ask him questions about what is going on.

My dad's wife once told me that my dad had Alzheimer's. At the time there wasn't really anybody in town who was competent to actually diagnose that so I sent both of them up to Seattle to get tested. She was fine and my dad had memory problems. At the end he didn't really even know where he was or who he was but there was no dementia. After I got tested I was told that I was not a candidate for Alzheimer but I did have some memory problems. Since then (about 5 years ago) my memory problems have become more defined so I thought I would pass on some of the stuff I now know about.

My problem with my memory has more to do with my memory span than my actual memory. What happens is that I can no longer deal with multiple things. I used to be able to balance several conversations at the same time, for instance. That is no longer the case. If I am talking to somebody, and somebody interrupts me, I will likely forget my stream of thought and have no clue what I was talking about! If anybody is having something like this going on its NOT Alzheimer! As far as I know there is really no solution to this one and is what it is. The best plan is to understand what is going on and proceed with your life! I also checked for existing stuff being sold for memory. The most popular is Prevagin. If you google it you will find out that there is no basis for the claims made by this one and doesn't really help. Those that think it does are deluded (sorry). Fish oil may help and may not but there is a lot more studies with that than Prevagin.

My personal view is that the trick is to understand what is going on then get advise as to how to deal with it. For myself I have found that just almost understanding what I am dealing with has been half the problem. I can no longer deal with interruptions, for instance. If I get interrupted whatever I was doing is forgotten, pure and simple. I also have serious speech aphasia (forgetting words). This one is constant and frustrating. If you have access to something like google you can ask and chances are you will find the missing word! I also have no problem remembering things in the past, say, 40 or 50 years which I have always wondered why and about.

Anyway, I thought I would throw this in for those of you who might be aging with minor problems. Oh, you will also learn that to say "where was I" more and more as time goes on (I also remember a song by that name!)

I must have speech aphasia then...the beginning stages.
I forget the most elemental words! Makes no sense!
And worse, I forget names, even names of people I know very well or people I think about a lot.

For instance, don't tell Karen that I've always had a raging crush on Marisa Tomei and Laura San Giacomo.
Pffffftttt, she knows! She has the hots for Sean Connery so we're even.

Today I could not for the life of me remember their names, I swear, I was posting something about movies and the subject of favorite actresses came up.
I am friends with Dale Launer, the guy who WROTE My Cousin Vinny and I had to go to "The Google" and type in My Cousin Vinny and extract Marisa's name from the cast and then I had to go the The Google again and do the same thing for Sex Lies and Videotape.
Thank God Dale didn't jump in or I would be screaming into a towel from embarrassment.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com